If your pet ingested this plant, contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435.
(Original Post Date: 6/16/14)
It is important to know if a plant is toxic to pets before it is brought into a household. As there are many different species of plants, exact identification is essential to knowing if it is safe for an animal to chew on. Even if the plant is intended to be higher than an animal can possibly reach, or in a closed room, remember that cats can reach areas that are higher than we may think, leaves or petals can fall off onto the floor, and doors can be accidentally left open. Therefore, it cannot be assumed that a pet will never have any access to plants that are brought into the house. The ASPCA has a useful website that lists both toxic and non-toxic plants: www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants.